Personal, Social, Health and Economic Education
All students at Barclay Academy study Personal, Social, Health and Economic education (PSHE), which is delivered as part of the tutor programme. The PSHE curriculum complements the programmes of study for all other subjects and aims to help our students develop key skills and acquire the knowledge, understanding and attributes they need to manage their lives now and in the future. It aims to introduce our students to the concept that they are part of a wider community as global citizens now and in their future roles within a global community.
Through our PSHE curriculum we aim to help build confident individuals who are able to live safe, healthy and fulfilling lives and enjoy learning. We want our students to become responsible citizens who make positive contributions to society. Our PSHE curriculum is underpinned by British Values as well as Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural (SMSC) developments.
Our PSHE curriculum aims to help students:
- develop positive personal attributes such as resilience, self-confidence, self-esteem, and empathy
- develop skills and strategies to live healthy, safe, fulfilling, responsible and balanced lives
- form positive relationships
- explore, clarify and if necessary challenge, their own and others’ values, attitudes, beliefs, rights and responsibilities
- respond to challenge, making and acting upon informed decisions
- communicate effectively
- be an active partner in their own learning
- be active citizens within the local and wider community.